The SuperTruck: An 18-Wheeler with Incredible Gas Mileage
Written By: Christine Dantz
The SuperTruck is the brainchild of Freightliner, Inc. and the U.S. Department of Energy's 5-year, $115 million joint venture to improve fuel economy of heavy-duty vehicles such as the tractor-trailers that transport food and other important goods around the country daily.
President Obama helped initiate the challenge to improve current fuel economy by a minimum of 50 percent. His goal was to increase the fuel efficiency standards for the first time in 20 years, from 27.5 miles per gallon (mpg) to 54.5 mpg by 2025. This will allow a family to purchase a new car in 2025 and save $8,200 in fuel costs compared with a similar vehicle in 2010. That's an extra $683 per month in the bank for spending!
The 65,000-pound 18-wheeler is stacked with improvements and features:
- Gets 12.2 mpg on the highway, a 115 percent improvement from current Freightliners
- It's a hybrid, 11-liter diesel engine and an electric motor
- Uses a waste heat recovery system
- Solar panels cover the roof that can run the entire climate control system on a sunny day
- Most accessories and the air conditioning system run on battery, not the engine
- A transmission connected to the navigation system programmed to shift with the changing terrain to reduce power consumption
- The truck's grill closes when it doesn't need cooling, aiding the aerodynamic design that increases fuel efficiency
Companies that ship with a SuperTruck could save an estimated $28,000 in fuel!
Read the full article, Freightliner SuperTruck Hauls Goods, Sips Fuel
Other Articles of Interest:
And Don't Forget to sign up for our Newsletter with all types of Great Ideas
We produce Stories and Articles about life in America - products made in the USA - to benefit America jobs. Buy American!